Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Wedding

My eldest daughter is getting married in 19 days, i am not quite sure if i am ready to be a mother-in-law?? Sounds like something that my Mom was .......... what does it mean to be a mother-in-law does it give me any responsibilities .........
does it give me the right to say what is on my mind .................. does it mean that i have lost my daughter to another
family ........ that she is no longer one of us but one of them .............
I can remember like it was yesterday the day we brought her home from the hospital, i lay her on the bed and said to my husband "What are we going to do with that" until you have a child of your own, and baby sitting does not count, because you always have the option of giving it back when you have had enough ..............you cannot imagine the full time commitment that it takes, the hours of worry, the sleepless nights, the constant challenge of whether what you are doing is right or not. The adverts and movies you see on TV are all false advertising, children don't go to bed by themselves, children don't eat their food at one without making a mess, children don't potty train overnight, children don't just speak in full sentences ..........Children puke ........ poo ........ cry ............. and want constant undivided attention .
My daughter is very artistic and has done most things herself for the wedding, her own invitations, her own flower boxes has made her own candles, her own wedding favors .................. she has always been creative she has always loved being by herself and making things, whether it was beads, or paintings, or clothes or scrap booking photos ......... she was always happiest when she was creating something where did this come from, even stick men are a problem for me, and i am really not sure about my husband because when something needed drawing he seldom offered to help. In fact as i look back i realize that my husband rarely spend much time with the children at all, i cannot remember him ever helping with homework, i was always the one to go to parent evenings, i was the one to fetch and carry to and from parties, to and from school ........................ is this why my daughter is so independent, so set in her ways, so strong willed, not needing anyone for anything, is this what she got from me, is this the legacy that i am leaving her ........
When you look back at them at their hangups which you know you caused, because of your hang ups because of your own inability to have a proper relationship, because of your quest to be the perfect mother. Children should come with an instruction manual, so that you know when you are doing it right and when you are doing it wrong ............
A friend of mine often says that we are all born winners, but are conditioned losers ........ and it is so true a child is capable of anything, we as parents keep telling them they can't .................. one of the first words a child learns is
no .......................... don't .................... naughty ...................
I know that i tried to be a better parent than my parents were, and i hope that she will improve on the kind of parent i was to her ....................... but more than anything i hope than one day she will look back and be able to thank me for who she is .........................

No comments:

Post a Comment

I AM WHO I AM

Thanks for popping in to my blog, i hope you enjoy reading it as much as i enjoy writing it, please pass it on to friends and family, and leave a comment to let me know that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME is reading it...