Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sand, Sea and Sun Part 4

Well  on  "home day"  I  woke  up  earlier  than usual,  and  I  was   not  quite  ready  to  go  home  a  few  more days would  have  been  really  nice.  There  was  no  distinction  between  the  sea  and  the  sky,  both  a  grey  colour  which   matched  my  mood and  my  spirit   quite  well............  there  was  no  sunrise  this  morning  as  the  day  was  overcast  and  remained  that  way.........  it  was  probably  also  mourning  that  we  were  leaving............  what  would  have  made  the  weekend  complete  would  have  to  see  some  dolphins  but  no  such  luck...........  about 3  years  ago  I  was  fortunate  enough  to  swim  with  the  dolphins when we  went  on  holiday  to  Mozambique,  .........  although  I would  never  do  it  again.........the  fact  that  you  are  dropped off  in the  middle  of  the  ocean  still gives  me  nightmares......... I  never realised  there  are  "BIG"  waves  in the  middle  of  the  ocean.
Although  we had  planned  to  leave  at  about  10 o'clock  by  just  after  9  we were  all  ready  so  started  on  our  way,  we  decided  to  go  the  back roads   for  the  first  100km's  of  the  journey  and  what  a  blessing  that  was.........  the  hills as  far  as the  eye  could  see  for  kilometers  after  kilometer  were  full of  sugar  cane  blowing  in  the  breeze.....

Many of  the rural  houses  we  passed  were  still  built  with   the  old  stick,  stone  and  mud method........  there  were  some  massive,  beautiful  houses.........  with  long drops  at the  bottom of  the  garden  as  there  is  still no running  water .......  talk  about  first  and  third  world  mixed............

When  we  hit  the  N3  the  highway  home  we  were  joined  by  the  whole  of  Johannesburg  who  had gone  to  the  coast  for  the  long  weekend,  we decided  that we  were  not  going  to  get  caught  up  in  the "rat race"  and  kept  to  a  steady  pace..........  although  I  must  admit  I  got  a  speeding  fine by  camera ,  I  didn't see the  sign  to  reduce  speed ......  probably talking.........  and  will  have  to  wait  for  the  picture  and  fine  to  come in the  post  before  I  know  what  the  damage  will  be...........


This  time  there  was  no  accidents........  but  lots  of  road  works....  and  lots  of  delays........  so  took  us  a  little  longer  than  expected  to  get  home..............  a  really great  few  days.........  the  end  of  day 4.............  and  back  to the  rat race  tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. All good things must come to an end I guess...Your road trip revealed much more interesting scenery than my last one to Chicago. However, road construction must be the same the world over. We call our summer season orange barrel season! Glad you made it home safe..too bad about the ticket.

    ReplyDelete

I AM WHO I AM

Thanks for popping in to my blog, i hope you enjoy reading it as much as i enjoy writing it, please pass it on to friends and family, and leave a comment to let me know that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME is reading it...