Monday, March 8, 2010

Hand Wash Only

Was  I  in  trouble  this  weekend  with  my  youngest  daughter,  she  had  slept  out  at  a  friend  for  the  weekend..............  peace  and  tranquility  descended  upon  our  household,  I  was  able  to  watch  TV  an entire  program  without  someone  constantly  changing  the  channels   to  see what  is  on  the other  side,  I  actually  saw an  advert,  an  entire  advert,  from  beginning  to end .........  normally  adverts are  some  hidden  code, they  are  the  signal   for  flicking  though the  channel  to  see if  you  can  catch  the  end  of    something  else,  anything  else  .................
I  was  able  to get  up  and  make  tea   and  when  I  got  back  the  same  movie  was  on,  I  cannot  begin  to count  how  many  times  I  have  come  back  into  the  room and  wondered  why I  don't  understand  the  movie.............  and  she  has  changed  the  channel ...........
I  was  able  to  go  in  the  bathroom  without  finding  clothes  decorating  the  outside  of  the  washing  basket,  without  towels,  hanging over  the  toilet,  without  the  after  effects  of  a tidal  wave  over  the  bathroom  floor............
I  was  able  to  walk  past  her  shocking  pink  bedroom  without  having  the  urge,  firstly  to  put  on  my  sun glasses  because  it is  so  pink  and  secondly  wanting  to  get  a  garbage  bag  and  just  throw   away everything  that  is  lying  around .......... which would  be  all of  what  she  owns
I  put  off  going  to  fetch  her for  as  long  as  I  possibly  could,  weighing  up  the  two  possibilities  if  I  fetched  her  early  enough  she  would  be  invited  back  again,  or  if  I   left   her  for too  long  they  might  not  ask  her  back,  and  I  must  admit  that  after  a  couple  of  days  the  house  gets  very,  very,  very  quiet  without  her........  my daughter  is  a  talker........  she  never  stops  talking,   in  grade   3  her  teacher  sent  a  note  home  with  her  from  school   ........" Please  bring  Kayla's  remote  with  tomorrow,  when  you  come  and  see me" ......  she  just  never  stops,  not  even  in  her  sleep,  in  fact   I  cannot  count  the  times  I  have  tiptoed  down  the  passage,  trying  not  to  let  the  wooden  floor  creak,   thinking  she  was  on  her  cell phone,  and she  was  fast  asleep,  laughing  and  talking  to  herself.........  when  she  is  not  talking  she  is  singing.......she  just  loves  the  sound  of  her  voice.......... and  just  loves to  share  it  with  anyone  who will listen.......  and  everyone  who  won't .............
But after  a  while  the  house  is  too  quite  without  her  and  i  realised  that  she  is  the  life  of  this  house  she  is  the noise  she  is  the  laughter,  she  is home..................
When  I  picked  her  up,  I  needed  to  stop  at the  shops  to  buy  a  couple  of gifts ,  and she  wanted  some  new  clothes,  now  she  loves  new  clothes  and  when  she  gets  them  she  loves  to  wear  them  straight  away,  so  later  in  the  afternoon  when  I  went  out  to  go  and  get  some  grocery  shopping ,   she  had  her  new  jeans  on..........  when  she  got  out  of  the  car  she  asked  whether  she  had  any  tickets  on  her  jeans,  now  being  as  blind as  I  am  at  close  range,    I  couldn't  see anything .......... ........... when  we  got  home  we   realised she  had  been  walking  around the  grocery  store,  talking  to  all her  friends,  eyeing  out  a  few "cool  dudes"   and  all the  time  she had  a  big  yellow  ticket  stuck  on  her butt   that  said  Hand  Wash  Only ...............  what  can  I  say  she  is  not  impressed............

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at this post! I'm a talker too and I remember my Mom going a bit nuts over me...I raised 4 very quiet boys and I think a fun, loud girl would have been nice! By the way...always an open invite for dinner!

    ReplyDelete

I AM WHO I AM

Thanks for popping in to my blog, i hope you enjoy reading it as much as i enjoy writing it, please pass it on to friends and family, and leave a comment to let me know that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME is reading it...